Mission and Vision Statement
Go first reached out in love to us thorugh Jesus Christ. Therefore, we the First St. Stephens Baptist Church, led by the Holy Spirit, will demonstrate God's love through commitment to Saving Souls for Christ.
Worship: We honor God through praise, prayer and Communion with Him. (John 4:24)
Witness (Evangelizing): We share the good news of salvation by faith in Jesus Christ will all people. (Matthew 28:19-28)
Ministry, that makes a difference: We respond to the spiritual, physical, mental and emotional needs of our church, community and the world. (James 2:14; Matthew 25:35-36)
Empowering Disciples, through the Word of God: We guide believers through the principles of growth toward Christian maturity in all areas of life through Bible Study and Christian training (II Timothy 3:17; Ephesians 4:11-16)
Fellowship: We nurture and strengthen one another as in Christ. (Ephesians 4:16; Colossians 2:12-14)
Walking worthy of our call and with the help of the Lord we shall Drive and Go Forward. (II Kings 4:24)
In the year of our Lord 1947, the late Rev. Lester Gains birthed the St. Stephen's Missionary Baptist Church located on Woodyear Street in Baltimore, MD. The church made several additional moves throughout Baltimore City. In 1956, the church moved to the 600 block of George Street and continued its growth. The church was guided for several years by different pastor's and ministers after the death of its organizer.
In October of 1960 the Late Rev. George Jackson became pastor and began to lead the congregation. The church grew rapidly under his guidance. In September of 1963, Pastor Jackson set the church apart and incorporated it, changing her name to First St. Stephen's Baptist Church and became the founder. In November of 1963 the church moved to 4663 Pimlico Rd. and Virginia Ave. The progressed in faith and membership. After a lengthy illness and the passing of Dr. Jackson in September of 1985, various ministers assisted with the spiritual needs of the church.
In December of 1991 the Rev. Dr. Aggie L. Brown Jr. & his wife Reenea Brown were united with the First St. Stephen's Family. Through his anointed teaching and preaching the Body of Christ is continuing to grow both in number and in spiritual strength. Many new and prosperous ministries have been instituted to build up the Kingdom such as:
Adopt a School Program, Bible Institute, Blue Print to Recovery, B.E.S.T. Summer Camp, Family Life Center and Earthly Angels Child Care Center along with the building of a New Church Edifice. Under Pastor Brown's leadership 10 ministers have been birthed and licensed to preach the Gospel. Pastor Brown and First St. Stephen's continues to stand on the motto of the Founder “Drive and Go Forward” I Kings 4:24. To God be the Glory for the Great things He has done.